It was my first visit to Waterbom and I’m so excited. Surely sure, I’ve heard all the good wetty stuff we can do at Waterbom but never got a chance to go until yesterday. Well, first I need to tell you the different between Waterboom and Waterbom, the different – literally – in the amount of letter “o” both names has, that’s mean both are under different management. Why I need to tell you this? In case you want to do event there, you might know how to spell each name well, so you can avoid wasting your time to hear the explanation from the sales guy (like we did hahaha).
For you who don’t know what Waterbom is, you can go to their website: www.waterbom-jakarta.com . For you who are too lazy to click the website, here’s a short explanation… Waterbom is an amusement park at Pantai Indah Kapuk, located by the side of the Sea, took 45 minutes driving there from the heart of the city via the freeway. The area is 35.000m2 (quite grand eh?) and it has a lot of facilities to have fun involving water and of course, food court. For entrance fee you have to pay for the ticket Rp. 160.000 on workdays, and Rp. 180.000 on weekend, but they have several membership promotions you can check out in their website too, in case you want to regularly going there (I think a lot people want to go there on regular basis ya? Otherwise, why on earth they make membership? Hm, on second thought, who go to amusement park regularly? I mean… it’s not something that you like to — OK, I’ll stop)
This great opportunity to visit Waterbom for free existed because my office celebrating its anniversary (Happy birthday Uncle Leo!), and I was one of the committee. Then by the power bestowed upon us, we arranged to have the whole day not working and NOT staying at office as well, we go to Waterbom, yeay! And to think that many of us never go there yet too of course. I know, its an abuse of power, but hey, as long as we make sure everyone is going to have fun, who cares? *giggle*
Tell you what, if you wanna go to Waterbom, better not too excited like me and some of the committee did. Just take a few hours more to sleep if you’re planning to go at weekend, you don’t have to wake up early in the morning and rushing there. It’s a bit useless, unless one of your main goal just to get tanned or perhaps sleeping on the pool bench… and inevitable get tanned. All attractions are officially open at 11 am, it’s when the sun shines the hottest. Now, over our over-excitement we arrived at Waterbom around 8 am. The parking space was totally empty, and when we’re about to enter the parking gate, no one there too! Then out of the air one of the security guy, wearing red shirt and short approaching us and say “Sorry sir, you can’t get in, our ticket box watchman isn’t here yet”, and that’s all… I mean, we won’t be there unless the sales guy told us that we can be there 7 AM. That pissed me of a little bit, cuz he don’t give any solutions, when we’re about to make one round, another magic happened, the ticket box man arrived, riding a motorcycle and park near by (if it’s not just put his motorcycle there) and operate the ticket machine. Halleluyah! Another problem emerged when we’re about to enter the area, the same security guy really give us a hard time, which means there’s no internal coordination. My level of excitement kinda decreased 20%! Anyhow, through the hassle we finally settled at the venue.
So after arranging here and there, working on the venue’s lay out, re-brief the game and all committee, we’re ready to the arrival of the rest of the flock. The groups came quite on time and everyone looks a little bit confuse at first, bet most them never come to this place before. Yess!! As we expected (yeah-right) everyone have fun under the hot hot sun! as for me, of course I try several attractions as well:
The Hair Pin. It’s the green slide, where you have to ride a rubber tube to slide down. But before that you have to take steps to the height of 20 meter… seriously! Cool! Take minimum 2 people to ride the tube and you’ll slide so fast that feels like you leave your heart behind! Man, I love this thing! I manage to ride that 2 times! Rock!
The Aquatube. It’s almost the same with The Hair Pin only the slide is narrower and you can choose whether you want to ride a single rubber of double rubber. But I think it’s a little bit slower then the hair pin. They also have two aquatube tunnels, the one that open, and the one that look like a “tunnel”, so you can experience sliding in the darkness. I think the dark one is a bit scarier. Height 14,5 meters, and long 118 meters. It takes around 5 seconds before you landed/full stop slide. Fun!!
Speed Slide. Now this is the craziest one, you slide from 20,7 meter heights with speed to 70 km/hour. It’s 113 meter long track and you don’t use any tools, just you sliding on the water slide, totally surrender. I tried the one with dark tunnel, rotate twice before the straight slide and stop. NUTS! Don’t think I wanna take it twice. It might be the heat you know, make me a bit dizzy (yeah right)
And the last the Wild River, don’t think anything fancy about it, it’s not even near any WILD. It’s only a water pool track, with varied from 70 to 120cm deep water (no one will ever be drown here, except that person is a baby or got a stroke), the track long is 345m, it might be circled a third of the Waterbom area. Since I feel like I need a little time to relax (it’s a very depressing task, being the committee you know), I took around the not-wild-at-all river 3 times… a half sleepy upon the rubber tube, and whilst conversing with a friend.
By the pang of realization that I still have things to manage, the dinner barberque, I jump out of the water and rushed to the shower place and get ready! The evening went quite well, except that – again – the food run out before all of us eating! Only God know why! I’m so damn sure that we ordered more than the amount of mouth need to be feed. Gosh, I was – again – so pissed of! But, we all know, there’s nothing good from chop their head off and barbeque the Waterbom staff, so I play cool and order pizza. Thank God for Mr. DJ and 10 bottles of liquers. I hope no one will remember the food incident!
In the end, there are some attractions I haven’t got a change to try yet, the dome and the whizzard, I have to admit I’m a bit regret it. Hm, will go there next time perhaps, I hope. Overall! Lovely day, and you need to try go to Waterboom and Waterbom.
Tips to enjoy the amusement park
- Of course always use swim suit! Don’t wear your office attire, but short with buttons on it won’t do either. Swim suit ONLY!
- Sun block is okay, but a bit useless, too hot!
- Bring friends, it’s a bit awkward to go around alone there, especially when you wanna ride the Hair Pin, I mean you don’t just sit and wait for whoever want to let you ride on their tube too right?? WAIT! O I remember, that incident is real!! There was this woman jumped into our tube actually, half screaming, “I’m alone, let me ride with you!!” … errr… well, if you have her guts and shamelessly ignore the cynical look from strangers, suit yourself.
- Don’t bring pets, you don’t want people screaming madly at you because your dog pee in the water right? Ow, on second thought, they won’t allow to bring pets in anyway… sorry…
- Don’t go too early unless you’re ready to fight the paranoid security guard!
- Bring a lot of money to buy snacks, because the have small stands around the place, selling lovely snack like, corn, hotdog, jelly drinks, yummy! But think twice to ride the attractions with full tummy, you don’t want to change the color of the water, right?
- If you want to have some privacy they have a lot of small huts that you can rent… lovely.
- If you hate kids, little children, you might consider going there, or any amusement park…
- Ignorance is a bliss especially if you have Michelin’s body. Hey you want to have fun, don’t mind people laughing at you big round tummy, who are they to judge???
- … okay I’m running out of useless tips… I think other blog might provide you more useful tips, I’m just trying to add “value” to the post… or whatever… Hahaha… cheers!