So, today is International Left-Handers day. For most people is not a big deal of course. But for me, well, it gives me something to write on my blog for a remembrance of course! It’s actually convenient for kids who born with tendency to be left-handed nowadays. Back in my days, when I was just a little kid, being left hander is sort of taboo, and in most Asian society considered “unclean” because it is used for cleaning the body after defecation. Even in many Islamic countries, people are forbidden to eat with their left hand, and additionally, “public display” or use of the left hand is against the law in some Islamic countries, including Saudi Arabia.
Well, I thought it’s in Indonesia only but last week I listened to a friend’s story, he is Malaysian, he was naturally a left hander but when he’s young his grandma beat his hands until they are bleeding everytime he use his left hand. So he was force to shift to right hand. He’s a really smart guy, literally, his IQ is in level genius. Then he comes up with this theory, reasoning his incapability to draw anything is because of that. Because his body function somehow shifting, no matter how hard he try to draw something (even he has vivid imagination of what he’s going to draw), he fails.
In my case, I’m so grateful that my mom such great defender of me being left hander. When I was a kid and like in school or family gathering or party, people were gasping and looking me in horror when I use my left hand to do anything. They will come rushing to my Mom and tell her that I just used my left hand and it so wrong. Instead my mom proudly said “yeah, she’s a left-handed, isn’t it lovely?”. I love you Mom!
As a left-hander I don’t feel anyhing special about me hihihihi… but why I have to be the one who tell how special a left hander is, here’s some facts based on studies…
- Between 10-12% of people on earth are “lefties.” Women are more likely to be right-handed than men by about 4 percentage points. >>> mean my kind is even more rare, woman and left-handed!
- August 13th is “Left-Hander’s Day.” Launched in 1992, this yearly event celebrates left-handedness and raises awareness of the difficulties and frustrations left-handers experience every day in a world designed for right-handers. >>> yeah right, I’m frustrated and this is a confusing right hander’s world… lalalalala…
- Many sources claim that left-handers may die as many as nine years earlier than right-handers meaning live on average 9 years less than right handed people. BUT this idea came out of a 1991 study that has since been discredited.>>> *GASP* … I’m going to dieeeee…. Well, eventually, inevitably…
- Many artistic representations of the devil show him to be left-handed. >>> MNWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA… I AM a little evil everynow and then…
- Left-handers are more likely to be dyslexic and to stutter. >>> honestly I can’t tell which one is right side and left side most of the time
- Studies have shown that if a left-hander injures his dominant hand, he has an easier time learning to use the other hand than his right-handed counterparts
- More likely to have allergies >>> not me!
- More prone to migraines >>> hmm… also not me!
- More likely to be insomniacs >>> ME! that’s why I blog…
- Use the right side of the brain the most >>> how would I know?
- Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol! >>> I love beer!
- More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale >>> Oh! *gasp*
- Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers >>> errr too much information
- Better at 3D perception and thinking, and at multi-tasking >>> EHM!!
- 39% more likely to be homosexual >>> I’m not in the 39% population I can tell 🙂
- Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties) >>> not athletic…. *sigh*
- Draw figures facing to the right >>> why of course!
- Recover from strokes faster >>> thank God!
- According to research published in theAmerican Journal of Psychology, there is some evidence that left-handed people have the upper hand in at least one creative facet — they’re better at divergent thinking, a method of idea generation that explores many possible solutions. So More likely to pursue creative careers >>> like serial killer?
- Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed >>> Indonesia? None! Ha!
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates >>> Hmm… interesting!
- On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.
- Adjust to seeing underwater quicker >>> Ah, no wonder I like diving!
- Less able to roll their tongue than a righty >>> still a good kisser… in any case… wanna try?
- Nails grow faster on the left hand than the right >>> manicure lover!
- According to a small study published inThe Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease , lefties are more prone to having negative emotions. In addition, they seem to have a more difficult time processing their feelings. >>> I’m sensitive yeah big deal! 😛
Oh, and I found an interesting reading about left hander psychology here http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4310 maybe you want to check?
But hey, just between us, I don’t think I’m too bright, or smart, or too creative hihihi.. In fact being left hander mean messier books, because I write from left to right so my hand actually make a lot of smudge from the still wet ink. Not to mention I have to eat on the left side of table or my hand will clash with whoever beside me. Sometimes I confuse which hand to use to do things better because I do most of things with both hands. Some games I learn by see people, and they use their right hands, so it’s not comfortable to play, like bowling or billiard, or other. So quite some inconvenient being left-hander.
Happy left-hander day to all who celebrate! At least we have a lot “unique” side than a …. rrrr… right hander… hahahaha.. peaceout!